Wednesday, January 30, 2013

1.     Unlike the Articles of Confederation the Constitution could act directly on the citizens. Two powers were missing from the Articles that were included in the Constitution the tax and commerce powers which gave the authority to tax to provide for the general welfare and to regulate commerce among the states and with foreign nations. I think the Constitution is stronger because it has the three branches of government and the Bill of Rights.It also has Federalism, Separation of Powers,and Checks and Balances not counting Limits on Powers which delegates the powers to Congress. Each individual state would have the right to wage war against one another, form their own individual alliances, and conclude peace with one another and also  foreign affairs. Congress did not have the authority to regulate commerce or operate directly over the citizens as they do today.
 2.  For one I learned that the House of Representative members are chosen every second year and cannot be under the age of 25 years old.Also, they must have been a citizen of the U.S.for at least 7 years. The Senate is composed of two Senators from each state for six years and each have one vote a piece. The Vice President of the U.S. is President of the Senate. No Senator, Representative or a person holding a office of trust or profit under the U.S. can be appointed an elector. The President has to be at least thirty-five years old and have been a citizen for 14 years.  Cases of impeachment do not have a jury.The supreme court has power over cases affecting Ambassadors, Ministers, and Consuls.
3. The Supreme court established the judicial review because of this case. Judicial review grants authority to the Court to strike down any law passes by Congress if the Court believes the law violates the Constitution.It is not granted explicitly by the Constitution but has been unchallenged since Marbury vs. Madison.
4. I think Anti-Federalist because national law is supreme over state law in our government today. It does seem that Congress can use just about anything to get laws they want passed. There do seem to be no limits and  also seems to have limitless power as well.

6 comments:

  1. I too didn't know that the House of Representative members had to be at least 25 years of age. I also didn't know that the Senate was made up of to Senators from each state. I thought that each state had one Senator, thus the one vote. I also didn't know that the President had to be 35, I thought the President had to be at least 40.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about our government is more like the anti-federalist because national law is over state law. Federalists envisioned it to be more like the Article of Confederation, which is nothing like our government today. They also followed the Virginia plan, which closely relates to our government today. Congress does seem to be able to pass any laws they want to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was unawre that impeachment was not heard by a jry. But I quess that makes sense, since a jury is supposed to be made up of peers, we only hae one president.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that to be elected into those offices that the person had to be so old, but I didn’t know exactly how old. Also I thought to have the office of President that the people had to be natural born citizens. I didn’t know that the president had to be a citizen for just fourteen years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the Constitution is much stronger than the Articles because it provides both unity and order when the Articles did not. We would likely no longer be one nation had the Articles remained. I also did not know the rules involving how our electors were chosen. It says that the people choose, but I know I have yet to see it on a ballot. I sort of have more questions about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is more like the Anti-Federalist also. It seems like Congress can get anything passed especially if they want it bad enough. I also didn’t know that cases of impeachment don’t have a jury. It’s interesting learning about so much stuff that you truly didn’t know goes on in our government.

    ReplyDelete